Makes about 25 small arepas
Ingredients for Pork:
- 3 pounds pork roast
- 1/2 tsp. whole cumin seeds
- 1/4 tsp. whole allspice
- 1/2 tsp. whole black peppercorns
- 6 garlic cloves, pressed
- 1 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. oregano
- 1/3 cup fresh blood orange juice
- 1/3 cup white distilled vinegar
- 1/2 cup low-sodium beef broth
- 1/2 cup red wine, such as Malbec
- 1 (15oz) can black beans, drained and rinsed
Ingredients for Arepas:
- 2 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1/2 stick, unsalted butter (cut in small pieces)
- 1 1/2 cups arepa flour
- 1 Tbsp. sugar
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 cup queso fresco, coarsely crumbled + 1/2 cup garnish
- 2 1/2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
Directions for Pork:
- Toast cumin seeds, allspice, and peppercorns until fragrant and then grind in a spice blender.
- In a small bowl, combine toasted spices, garlic, salt, oregano, orange juice, and vinegar.
- Place pork in a glass, non reactive, dish and cover with marinade. Cover dish and refrigerate 12-24 hours. Transfer pork and marinade to crockpot, add beef broth and red wine, and heat on low for ~4 hours until meat is fork-tender.
- Shred pork and place back in crockpot with beans. Keep warm until ready to assemble.
Directions for Arepas:
- Bring milk to a simmer, remove from heat. Add butter to milk and stir until completely melted.
- In a large bowl, combine arepa flour, sugar, salt, and queso fresco. Add milk/butter mixture and stir until combined. Let stand a couple of minutes.
- Using a mellon baller, fry 2 arepas at a time in vegetable oil at medium heat in non-stick skillet, flipping once until browned on both sides. Add more vegetable oil as needed.
- Place warm pulled pork and black bean mixture on top of arepa. Top with crumbled queso fresco, roasted tomatillo salsa, and pickled onions.