I haven’t written a blog post since before I was pregnant which has now been almost 2 years. I used to feel guilty for not writing then I realized I was not writing because I was out exploring the world, enjoying my family, and getting on with other things. It might be another 2 years until write the next one and that is ok. I started this blog as a hobby and can see how it quickly became another responsibility. Anywho, I have put things into perspective and I’m here now so that’s all that matters.
The hubby and I made it our summer goal to add some curb appeal to the outside of our house by adding shutters and painting a door. So in true fashion, we were working on this until Labor Day Monday evening. Nothing like putting it off until the last minute!
Look how great it turned out though. I love the door so much. It makes me happy every time I drive up now.
Since I knew I would be outside all day, I wanted something easy for dinner that would also be hearty enough to fill us up after a long work day. I had a small amount of left over shredded beef from the day before and also wanted to be able to extend that as much as possible so what better way than to make chili. Topping this quick chili over cheesy polenta completely amps up this dish and takes it to a whole new level. My husband raved and kept asking for more, more, more. I hope your family enjoys it as much as mine!
Chili over Cheesy Polenta
- 1/2 pound stew meat
- 1 can diced tomatoes in sauce
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 1/2 white onion, diced
- 1 can S&W chili beans
- 1 envelope McCormick chili seasoning
- 4 cups skim milk
- 1 cup instant grits
- 2 cups extra-sharp cheddar, shredded
- 2 Tbsp butter
- salt and pepper to taste
Directions for Chili:
- Liberally season stew meat with salt and pepper and bring to room temperature. Heat a heavy skillet over medium-high heat until almost smoking. Add stew meat and sear until nicely browned on all sides. Transfer meat to slow cooker.
- Add diced tomatoes, pepper, onion, chili beans, and chili seasoning to slow cooker. Stir everything together and set to low for 6-8 hours or until stew meat shreds easily with a fork.
Directions for Cheesy Polenta:
- Slowly bring milk to a boil over medium-high heat in a large pot. Stir the milk frequently so it doesn’t burn.
- Once milk is boiling, add grits in a steady stream while stirring vigorously. Reduce heat to low and cover for 5 minutes.
- Remove lid from pot and add cheese in batches until fully incorporated and melted.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Add butter and stir until melted.
- Serve hot polenta in bowls and top with chili.