- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 carrots, sliced thin
- ½ lb. sliced bacon, double-smoked
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 Tbsp. minced garlic
- ¼ cup chili powder
- 1 Tbsp. ground cumin, fresh ground
- 2 Tbsp. smoked paprika
- 1 Tbsp. crumbled dried oregano
- 2 tsp. dried hot red pepper flakes, to taste
- 1 (15oz) can tomato sauce
- 1¼ cups reduced-sodium beef broth
- 3 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 1 (15oz) can S&W Kidney Beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 green bell peppers
- 1 Tbsp. semisweet chocolate
- 2 Tbsp. finely chopped chipotle chiles in adobo, seeds removed
- 2 Tbsp. lime juice
- 4 Tbsp. light brown sugar
- Cook bacon until almost crisp over medium heat in a heavy skillet. Add onions and carrots until soft. Add ground beef and cook until browned. Drain and add to crockpot.
- Add remaining ingredients, mix, and cook on low heat for 2 hours.
- Garnish with fresh parsley.