- 2 pounds pearl onions
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Coarse kosher salt
- 1 1/2 cups low-salt chicken broth
- 1/4 cup dry red wine
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon golden brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons crème fraîche or heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup pomegranate seeds
1. Blanch onions in boiling water 1 minute. Drain and place in ice bath to cool. Peel and trim, leaving core
2. Saute onions over medium-high heat seasoning with salt and pepper until browned
3. Bring broth, red wine, vinegar, and brown sugar to a boil. Reduce heat. Cover and simmer 15 minutes.
4. Increase heat and boil until the onions are tender and the liquid is thickened, ~20 minutes.
5. Fold creme fraiche into onions and simmer until the sauce coats the onions thickly, about 2 minutes.
Season with salt and pepper and sprinkle with pomegranate seeds.
Note: Can be prepared up to Step 4 a day in advance. Cover and chill and continue with Step 5 right before
Recipe adapted from “Epicurious.com; Issue of Bon Appetit November 2007.” Link to original recipe: http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Balsamic-Braised-Cipolline-Onions-with-Pomegranate-240417