These little bite-size appetizers pack a big flavor punch. It’s a good thing to make when you have endless amounts of summer basil that you just aren’t sure what to do with.
- 2/3 cups pine nuts, toasted
- 2 garlic cloves
- 4 cups basil leaves, packed
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmigiano-Reggiano
- 1/2 tsp. coarse sea salt
- 1/4 tsp. fresh ground pepper
- 2/3 cup good quality extra-virgin olive oil
- 24 cocktail tomatoes
- 1 cup Parmigiano-Reggiano
- 1/4 cup Panko breadcrumbs
- 1 Tbsp. butter, melted
- Toast pine nuts in a dry heavy skillet over medium heat, about 4 minutes.
- Put garlic through a press and add to food processor. Add basil, Parmigiano-Reggiano, toasted pine nuts, salt, pepper, and basil leaves. Turn food processor on low until everything is finely ground.
- Slowly drizzle in extra-virgin olive oil.
- Mix together panko breadcrumbs with butter to moisten then add 1 cup of Parmesan to breadcrumbs.
- With a sharp pairing knife. Cut a circle around the top of each tomato being careful not to slice through the bottom of the tomato.
- Using your finger, carefully hollow out each tomato.
- Place 1 tsp. of pesto in each tomato then stuff Parmesan/breadcrumb mixture into tomatoes until they are overflowing.
- Place stuffed tomatoes in mini muffin tins.
- Bake at 350F for 10 minutes or until browned.