Yield: 2 Servings Prep Time: 10 minutes Total Time: 2 hours 50 minutes
My husband and I had Spring fever today and decided that we had to get outside for fear of going stir crazy. So we decided a long walk with Otis, our dog, was in high order. The fact that it was only about 40 degrees didn’t deter us. Instead we got out our long johns, gloves, and scarves and were on our way through the woods!
We came across a lost dog so she joined us for our walk until we were able to find her owner. It’s a happy day when a little girl finds her lost puppy! After Otis’ new girlfriend left us, he occupied his mind with all of the squirrels running through the park and he too was a happy boy.
On our walk back I was starving and all I wanted to do was fire up the grill to continue our “pretend Spring day.” I’ve been wanting to make flatbread on the grill for awhile so I thought this would be a great opportunity, but by the time we got back from our walk it was raining so I had to change plans last-minute.
My husband loves pizza with classic red sauce, but I’m more of a fan of white pizza. I especially love salty prosciutto and peppery arugula with a garlic crust. The Fontina adds a creaminess to the pizza that really takes it to the next level.
Someday, if it ever warms up in MN, I will add grill instructions to this recipe. For now, a cast iron skillet and oven inside makes one perfectly tasty flatbread!
- 1 recipe Homemade Flatbread
- 1 head garlic
- 5 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 cups shredded Fontina cheese
- 4 thin slices prosciutto
- 1/2 cup baby arugula
- coarse ground pepper
- Follow steps 1-5 for preparing homemade flatbread.
- Preheat oven to 400F. Roast a head of garlic by cutting off 1/4 inch off top of cloves. Drizzle garlic with olive oil then sprinkle with salt and pepper. Wrap in tin foil. Roast for 40 minutes. Remove garlic cloves from bulb and mix with extra-virgin olive oil until a thin paste forms.
- Wipe the inside of a heavy skillet with a paper towel moistened with olive oil. Preheat the pan over high heat for 5 minutes until smoking. Place the prepared dough in the skillet until the crust bubbles, about 1 minute.
- Turn the flatbread onto a working surface, grilled side up. Brush the flatbread generously with roasted garlic/olive oil mixture. Add shredded cheese and top with prosciutto.
- Place the flatbread back in the skillet over medium until cheese is melted and bottom has formed a brown crust.
- Remove from heat, sprinkle with fresh ground pepper, and top with arugula.