I made this again yesterday and I forgot how easy and amazing homemade ricotta is. Try adding it to your lasagna. You will not regret one single ounce of this creamy goodness!
Yield: 2 cups
- 8 cups whole milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. fresh ground black pepper
- 3 Tbsp. lemon juice
- Slowly bring milk, cream, and salt to a boil. Stir often so milk doesn’t scald on bottom of pot.
- Once boiling, add lemon juice, reduce heat to simmer, and stir just to mix.
- Let mixture curdle for approximately 2 minutes.
- Pour mixture through fine mesh sieve or cheesecloth and allow to drain for an hour.
- Transfer to an airtight container and refrigerate until ready to use.
Note: Use within 2 days.
Recipe adapted from “Epicurious.com; Issue of Gourmet April 2006.” Link to original recipe: http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Fresh-Homemade-Ricotta-234282