3 years ago I planted my first garden. I learned very quickly that two people do NOT need 5 flourishing zucchini plants! We had so much zucchini that I bet I made these fritters 50 times. Needless to say, I was “frittered-out” by the end of that summer.
It took me until yesterday to have a craving for them. I forgot how light, fluffy, and full of flavor they are. The lemony mayo adds just the right amount of creaminess and zing to make all the flavors pop. So go crazy, make some fritters, and see if you can have more restraint than I did!
Yield: 30 bite-sized fritters
Time: 30 minutes
- 1 large zucchini, diced
- 1/2 jalapeno, minced with seeds
- 6 slices bacon, cooked crisp and chopped fine, reserve bacon fat for frying
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1/8 tsp. cayenne
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 cup mayo
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- Toss zucchini, jalapeno, and bacon in a large bowl to combine.
- In a small bowl, lightly beat egg. Stir in milk, cayenne, salt, and pepper. Pour over zucchini mixture and toss to coat.
- Add flour and baking powder to zucchini mixture and stir to combine.
- Heat bacon fat over medium heat. Drop spoonfuls of zucchini mixture into bacon fat making sure to not overcrowd. Cook for 2 minutes or until golden brown. Flip fritters and flatten with the back of a spatula. Cook another 2 minutes or until golden brown and cooked through.
- Whisk together mayo and lemon juice and serve with warm fritters.
- Gluten Free Zucchini Fritters (glutenfabulous.org)
- Corn Fritters With Spicy Zucchini Salsa (lindseysrecipe.wordpress.com)