Today my job consists of creating recipes that include my KC Masterpiece Original BBQ Beans. I originally created these beans as a side dish so I’ve had to be a bit creative to fit them into a center-plate meal. The goal is to get these into a circular for Walmart so the recipes need to have simple ingredients, be cost-friendly, and easy for the home cook to prepare on a weeknight. My first idea is a BBQ version of Frito pie. I’m very impressed with how well this turned out and will be adding this recipe to our weeknight repertoire. It took me 30 minutes from start to first bite so that’s always a plus for me on a busy weeknight. It has a sweet BBQ flavor that is kid-friendly plus, hey, you can even sneak a few beans into the mix. The Frito topping gives this casserole a really nice salty crunch that rounds out the sweetness. I hope you enjoy!
Yield: 6 Servings Prep Time: 15 minutes Cook Time: 15 minutes
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 cup yellow onion, chopped
- 1 (16oz) can KC Masterpiece BBQ Beans
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 2 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tbsp. yellow mustard
- 2 cups Fritos corn chips, crushed
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Brown ground beef with onions in a non-stick skillet over medium heat. Drain fat and return to skillet.
- Stir in KC Masterpiece beans, brown sugar, ketchup, apple cider vinegar, and mustard over low heat until ingredients are combined.
- Add beef/bean mixture to a casserole dish. Top with crushed Frito chips and bake uncovered for 15 minutes. Serve immediately.