Here is a new twist to the classic holiday green bean casserole. You can eat this any time of the year as I have added white beans in place of all the holiday guilt!
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes (topping); 15 minutes (casserole)
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 Tbsp. Panko bread crumbs
- 1 tsp. coarse kosher salt
- 1 Tbsp. plus 1 tsp. coarse kosher salt, divided
- 12 oz fresh green beans, rinsed, trimmed, and halved
- 2 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 2 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 tsp. freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 1 (15oz) can S&W white beans, drained and rinsed
- Preheat oven to 475F.
- Combine topping ingredients in a large mixing bowl and toss to fully coat onions.
- Spread onions evenly on a sheet pan lined with parchment paper.
- Cook until golden brown for ~30 minutes, turning every 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil with 1 Tbsp. salt. Add green beans and blanch for 5 minutes. Strain beans through a colander and plunge into an ice bath to quickly stop cooking. Once green beans are cooled, strain and set aside.
- Melt butter in a heavy skillet over medium heat. Add flour and stir constantly for 2-3 minutes. Slowly whisk in chicken broth.
- Add pepper, garlic, and nutmeg. Continue heating over medium heat until sauce is smooth and has thickened.
- Reduce heat to low and stir in half-and-half.
- Add white beans and green beans to sauce mixture until heated through.
- Pour sauce mixture into a casserole dish and top with onions.
- Bake until bubbly, ~15 minutes.