This recipe is so versatile and has so much flavor. It can be eaten as a casserole, a soup, or even on hashbrowns for breakfast!
- 1.5 pounds chorizo
- 2 cans S&W Butter Beans, drained but reserving 3/4 cup liquid
- 3 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 leek, cut 1/4″ thick (white and pale green parts only)
- 1 small yellow onion, finely diced
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 Tbsp. tomato paste
- 1 tsp. smoked paprika
- 2 1/4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 (28oz) can whole tomatoes, drained and crushed
- 5 sprigs thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 sprig rosemary
- 5 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups coarse breadcrumbs
- 1/3 cup flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- 1/3 cup fresh grated Parmesan
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Brown chorizo in a large skillet. Drain fat and set aside.
- Saute leek and onions in olive oil, and season with salt and pepper until slightly browned.
- Add garlic, tomato paste, and smoked paprika. Stir to make a paste and then add reserved bean broth, chicken broth, chorizo, tomatoes, thyme, bay leaves, and rosemary. Bring to a boil and reduce until desired consistency is achieved (if you want to make a casserole reduce by almost half, for soup reduce slightly until flavors combine).
- Once desired consistency is reached, remove thyme, bay leaves, and rosemary. Add butter beans and stir to combine.
- Transfer ingredients to a glass baking dish.
- In a separate skillet, heat 5 Tbsp. EVOO with breadcrumbs until crispy and golden. Remove from heat and add parsley, Parmesan, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Top casserole with breadcrumb mixture.
- Bake for 30 minutes covered. Uncover and bake an additional 15 minutes or until breadcrumb mixture is browned and casserole is bubbling.