Make sure you have time for a nice long nap after eating this. It is very rich and filling.
Ingredients (for biscuits):
- 300g all-purpose flour
- 5.5 g salt
- 14g sugar
- 14g baking powder
- 100g butter
- 6 fl. oz milk
Ingredients (for gravy):
- 1 pound hot Italian sausage
- 2 Tbsp. flour
- 4 cups milk (2% or whole)
- 2 Tbsp. creole seasoning
Directions (for biscuits):
- Sift dry ingredients to blend.
- Cut cold butter into small chunks and add to the dry mixture. The mixture should be mealy not over-mixed.
- Add milk and butter and combine until dough holds together.
- Flour work surface and knead dough until it forms a mass.
- Roll out dough to 1/2 inch thick. Cut with something round (I used a water glass) and place biscuits on a paper-lined sheet pan.
- Bake 425F for 10-15 minutes until the tops are browned and interiors are still moist.
- Place on wire rack to cool.
Directions (for gravy):
- Brown Italian sausage in skillet over medium heat. Remove sausage with slotted spoon keeping fat in skillet. If there isn’t any fat add 2 Tbsp. butter to the skillet.
- Add flour to skillet and stir constantly for 3 minutes over medium heat.
- Slowly whisk in milk and stir over moderate heat until the sauce coats the back of a spoon.
- Add sausage and creole seasoning.
- Pour gravy over hot fresh biscuits and enjoy!