Makes 8 cups stock
- Shrimp shells, from about 1 1/2 pounds medium to large shrimp
- 10 cups water
- 1/2 cup onion, diced small
- 1/4 cup celery, diced small
- 1/4 cup carrots, diced small
- 1 Tbsp. whole black peppercorns
- 1 bunch parsley stems
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 Tbsp. white wine vinegar
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Simmer all ingredients for 45 minutes to 1 hour until reduced to 8 cups.
- Strain, season with salt and pepper to taste. Do not over season as the stock will be put into another dish that likely contains salt.
– Allow stock to cool before covering and refrigerating or freezing.
– Stock will keep refrigerated for up to a week.
– Stock will keep frozen for 3-4 months.