This salad is high in protein and very filling. It’s also easy enough for a weeknight dinner.
- 1 pink grapefruit
- 3 tsp. white wine vinegar
- 1/2 garlic clove, minced
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. minced jalapeno
- 6 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 ahi tuna steaks (1 inch thick)
- 1 cup cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 3 cups mixed salad greens
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped + more for garnish
- 4 red onion slices. thinly sliced
- Segment 1/4 of grapefruit and set aside. Squeeze 1/8 cup juice from other portion of grapefruit.
- Combine grapefruit juice, vinegar, garlic, jalapeno, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Next, make emulsion. To do this you want to add oil VERY slowly to begin with. This will ensure that the water-loving portion (vinegar) will fully envelop each little drop of oil so there is no separation between oil and vinegar as the dressing stands. Add a drop at a time and whisk like crazy. Keep adding a slow steady stream while vigorously whisking for the first 2 Tbsp. You can add the remaining oil at a faster pace but continue whisking the entire time.
- Marinate tuna in 2 Tbsp. dressing for 30 minutes to 1 hour. Refrigerate the rest of the dressing until ready to use.
- Heat remaining olive oil over medium-high heat and sear tuna for 1 minute on each side (for rare).
- Toss mixed greens, 1/4 cup cilantro, and beans with dressing. Season with salt to taste. Top with tuna steak, grapefruit slices and fresh ground black pepper. Garnish with cilantro and red onion.