If you want to make queso dip, but can’t bring yourself to use Velveeta this is a great recipe for you. If you can’t part with your Velveeta on game day, there’s a solution to that as well!
Makes 4-5 cups
- 4 Tbsp. butter (omit if using Velveeta)
- 4 Tbsp. all-purpose flour (omit if using Velveeta)
- 2 cups 2% milk (omit if using Velveeta)
- 2 cups heavy cream (omit if using Velveeta)
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 16 oz Monterrey Jack Cheese (or Velveeta), coarsely grated
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 packet taco seasoning
- 1 (15oz) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (4oz) can diced jalapenos, drained
- 2 tsp. crushed red pepper
- 3 Tbsp. Bufalo brand chipotle sauce
Directions for non-Velveeta fans:
- Make a roux by heating butter and flour in a heavy skillet over medium heat, whisking constantly until it turns golden brown. Whisk in milk and cream slowly. Add diced red peppers. Simmer for about 10 minutes or until sauce coats the back of a wooden spoon.
- While sauce is thickening, brown hamburger, and season according to taco packet directions.
- Once sauce has thickened, remove skillet from heat and whisk in cheese gradually. Be sure not to add the cheese over heat as this will cause the milk solids to separate and the sauce will have a grainy texture.
- Once all the cheese has melted, mix in the remaining ingredients. Season with salt and adjust heat to your likeness.
- Transfer to crockpot to keep warm. Serve with tortilla chips.
Directions for Velveeta fans:
- Brown hamburger and season according to taco packet directions.
- Add all ingredients omitting the butter, flour, and milk to a crockpot over low heat.
- Stir occasionally until all cheese is melted and ingredients are incorporated. Season with salt and adjust heat to your likeness.
- Serve with tortilla chips.